Monday, May 30, 2011

Boy or Girl?

( This is based off of an article in the news, click on the link at the bottom of the post to get caught up) So are you a boy or girl?
Has social norms forced you into YOU being you?
I do agree that girls are pushed to the Pink world and boys are pushed to the Blue world, but is there harm in this? I was a girl, genetically that is, and was a tom-boy my entire life. Was that because I had 2 older brothers and 2 younger brothers?...I burnt my barbies head off and never missed a beat. I must have been lured by society... because I now wear earrings and claim my femininity.

So this couple is doing a valiant thing in allowing their child to be raised in a "white zone" if you will. But every child by the age of 4 has the mental capability to understand gender and wants to start to identify with male or female. Is it healthy to let a child choose their gender? Last time I checked there was a very small percentage of births in the world that there is a legitimate question of gender and it comes down to making a decision of choosing. And heaven forbid that happens, you would have to take it day by day and do a lot of praying to decide what to do; or in these peoples case, they can just let their child decide.

Society does have agendas and pushes norms that I do not agree with, and where is the line?
Do girls really like pink or is that something they are programmed with, because since they were in newborn clothes the isles in the stores look like an explosion of pink cotton candy? Yes agendas are pushed, but is that shaping our characters in the wrong direction? If I liked gray more than pink how much does that alter who I am? (considering kids change their favorite colors by the minute)

I try to provide Z with a nice variety of colors and toys and plan on letting her select her clothes, hair styles and hobbies...but is it okay to let her select her gender?
NO! the answer is simple, God already did the hard job, and I thank Him for that!

And by the way crazy family...it is totally a BOY! Hope I didn't spoil the secret, and it really seems you must want one to turn into a girl...I say maybe read a book that tells you how to make a girl baby and have it, it will work as well as letting your already alive baby change its gender. ha ha I have nothing against them really, I applaud their creativity and attempt to relinquish more agency than is actually humanly allowable. Hopefully we all can be that proactive with topics that mean something to us.

Click here to read the article:
Parents keep child's gender secret - Parentcentral.ca

1 comment:

  1. I read this article the other day. I felt the same way. It definitely made me think but in the end, that kid's gender is only a secret until someone changes its diaper.

    ReplyDelete