Todd Matthew’s Birth November
30, 2012
Doula’s notes- Debbie Freadrich (in
red)
My personal story- Katie (black)
10:15- had appt. with Dr. gates. I was at 3cm dilation, and
he didn’t mention how effaced I was, but I was 80% a week before, so I’m
assuming I was about the same, if not done all the way. I had him strip my
membranes to see if the baby was ready to come or not. (He mentioned later at
the hospital that when he does a check and the cervix is very ripe the mother
usually has the baby in the next little while, but if there is a warmth to the
area she is having it within a day or two- I was of the latter).
After my appt. Zaylie and I went to target to get some last
minute things for the baby and some groceries.
11:30- while shopping I started having some pretty good
contractions that I had to stop pushing the cart for, walking was not happening. I
could still speak tho. So we finished up so we could get out of there, I think
my faces and the constant stopping was scaring other people, and Z included. We
stopped and got Burger King on the way home. I had a burger and fries for my
last meal before the baby came.
12:30- I get home, unloaded groceries, got Zaylie in bed for
her nap. Then I installed the car seat cause I knew this baby was coming soon.
Finished getting my bags packed. Debbie came by with Juice. I was in good
spirits and the contractions were very manageable. I wanted to keep my mind
occupied so I didn’t feel like I was actually in labor.
1pm- police officer knocks on door, and needs my statement
b/c a few days prior a lady had called the cops on me in Wal-Mart when she saw
me yank Zaylie across the road b/c she ran out into it and I couldn’t see
oncoming traffic b/c an armored car was in the way. So with one arm I grabbed
her. The old lady pulled up to me and told me I was being too rough with my
child, haha. I was irritated and asked her if she would have rather ran my
daughter over in the parking lot? She proceeded to try to lecture me so I told
her to go to hell and get out of my face. So basically she called the cops on
me. Anyway, I gave my statement and chatted with the officer until about 2
(which he saw the walmart tape of it and said he would have done the same thing
haha) Meanwhile it stopped my labor all together b/c of being distracted. Then picked right up when he left.
2:15- I tell Cory he should come home so I don’t have to run
after Z when she is up while having contractions.
2:30- I have to concentrate now with the contractions, they
are good ones but still manageable. I get out my exercise ball and sit on that,
walk around doing stuff once in a while, but it takes to long having to stop
for every contraction.
3:12- contractions 3 minutes apart.
You suggest I should come.
Things are picking up as Z is leaving, being distracted with
her and having Kathy over for a few minutes slowed things down and the
contractions went from 3 minutes apart to 5 then 4 then 6 until she left.
3:30- I’m here. Zaylie leaving with
Grandma
Things take on a whole new level. Getting intense. I’m
thinking there is no way I can last having hours of this level of contractions
since this is the “beginning” in my mind. (Unbeknownst to me I was probably entering
into the transition phase about now, 7cm or more dilated)
3:40- Out of bathroom “the worst
back to back contractions”- now another, you stand.
They are back to back now and very intense. Going to the
bathroom when everything aligns made for some gnarly contractions one after
another, so I wanted out of there!! So I headed back to the couch.
Dad eating/ mom working, very
peaceful, powerful contractions- you carry your stress in your face and hands!
No matter how I sit, or stand the pain is just getting more
intense. I start thinking I don’t want to do this for much longer, and that I
probably wont last going all natural. But I didn’t want to say that out loud
and sound like I was wimpy out so soon. Debbie said she knew I was far along
with my sounds but since I never verbalized anything she had a hard time gauging
me. I was definitely transitioning now, and having gut wrenching contractions.
Deciding to go to hospital- strong
contractions
4:07- ready to be going
Had a strong pressure on my bottom with a contraction, and
that is what made me realize we needed to go, and that I was probably further along than I thought. Well I
thought I was almost complete from my thoughts and how I read I would be
feeling at this point, but it had all happened so fast I was doubting
everything I felt and had not idea where I was in the labor process. Debbie
said since I hadn’t had a bloody show in active labor I still had a ways to go.
4:11- in bathroom, Cory went in to
check on you
You are strong and beautiful. You
make this work look easy.
Debbie suggested I use the bathroom before we go, and I knew
when I sat down I was going to have some powerful contractions, and yes they
were!! As my friend Carmen put it, it felt like I had been punched in the
stomach by a gorilla. I was so relieved when Cory came in because I had to lean
on him so I didn’t fall over. I then noticed I had my bloody show…and this show
needed to be on the road was my next thought! After wanting to die on the
toilet and then feeling the urge to push I knew this baby was coming fast! So
we made it out to the car as fast as we could. Debbie suggest we call the
hospital and tell them we are on our way.
4:17- Cory calls hospital, and the car ride was horrible. At
the light Cory rolled up the windows hoping to not scare all the other drivers
by my sounds. It was totally already a movie scene, since my contractions
were out of control and I had to push badly I was making loud moaning noises
and scary faces I'm sure.
When we pulled up to the hospital they were waiting for us
with a wheelchair (which was a new kind and hard as a rock). And it was a good
thing b/c I needed to push that baby out pronto.
The lady pushing the wheelchair had us bypass the check in
saying, “she can get her arm bands later, this lady is having a baby now!”
4:27- car parked. You’re upstairs with
Cory
They have me get on a bed to check me and try to monitor the
baby for 20 minutes before anything else. I keep telling them I have to push
and the baby is coming right now!! The lady checks me and says I’m complete! No
wander I have to push, b/c I do! They get me to a delivery room asap and
luckily my doctor had been called in for another birth and was there or he
would have missed it. As they got me in the new bed they wanted to give me an
IV, but I told them my Dr. said it was ok to not have one if I came in and my
labor was advanced, this would definitely be that scenario. So they left it
alone and then he came in right after.
You are ready to deliver- miconium
(no particulate) not very bad
4:37- water broken
Dr. Gates said breaking water would relieve pressure then I
could push when I wanted to, and the head was not even an inch from coming out.
I was excited to push as I heard this is a huge release. The water breaking felt
all warm and nice. Right after I said, “ok, I have to push!”
4:39- birth, 1 push, cord once
around neck, great sounds(deep from the throat no screaming), baby all lovely
pink, LOA presentation
I only got 1 push! The head came right out and then the
shoulders were tight, they said to wait, but I just couldn’t so I kept pushing
and I could feel a little tear. But it felt so great to have him out. I had
such an adrenaline rush from realizing I had just done it all natural that I
didn’t even get emotional right away, but it did hit me later :)
NO IV or anything else
Baby was 9 at one minute then 10 the
next on the Apgar test, they commented on how great it was to have these
scores. Talking with doctor about how his grandbaby was born yesterday on his
due date and how Todd is now born on his as well!
I couldn’t have had a better delivery, birth and baby. He
was perfect. And it was exactly how I wanted it in my birth plan (not banking on that every time). And he looked a lot like Zaylie did as a newborn as well. We
waited for the cord to stop pulsating before it was cut, and I was able to keep
him on my chest from birth until they did his testing. I felt amazing. I thought I had felt fine after having an epidural with Zaylie, but this was very different. All my senses were brighter, almost lucid. My feelings and emotions were so much more raw. As I looked at Cory and our new baby I was overwhelmed with love. My body was slightly tired but I felt strong and alert. And above all I was just happy, extremely happy, and I was able to show it. I always thought I was like that with Z, but my mom and Cory said this was extremely different, I was giddy!! Having my own endorphins, adrenaline and hormones pumping in my veins instead of fake ones through medication was awesome!! My body did the entire thing on its own!!
Todd was a great nurser from the start. He latched on great
and was very alert.
Grandma Carol got here, she missed it by an hour!
He had pooped twice before he was ever even weighed, Im sure
he would have weighed at least 8 pounds or a little more if he would have been
weighed right away.
I had chosen to do the placenta encapsulation which I LOVED, and will do every time(feel free to ask me about this).
I had felt impressed to have a natural birth only months
before my due date. I started reading books and watching videos and trying to
prepare myself and talk myself into it. I had previously thought natural childbirth
was crazy and didn’t know why anyone would go through that pain when they
didn’t need to. I also had never done any research and did not know all the
possible side effects of pitocin, and epidurals. I also wanted to lower any chance I had in getting postpartum
depression again, and going natural was a great start. But as I reflected on
what it was I was going to be doing, something just kept pushing me to prepare
for a natural birth. So that is what I did. I also hired a doula that could
help me stay relaxed and labor at home for as long as I could. Cory and I
learned so much about birth in general and what is really happening with the
female body, it was a wonderful experience doing all the prep work
together. Then when the time came I
had a strength that I did not know existed and it was because I was prepared,
mentally, physically and spiritually. Before the birth, I had reflected on
Christ in the garden of Gethsemane, and how he felt every pain and sin for us.
He did not cut corners or ease his burden in anyway, he did it head on. That
was a large motivation for me to not have any interventions, to experience
really what bringing a life into the world is like. And I got just that, and
the reward that went along with it. I birthed a child naturally, safely and
calmly into the world. I felt amazing, proud, and healthy. I really
accomplished a great work.
First look at his baby boy
Already holding his head up 1 hour after the birth
We have a picture of Z doing this exact same thing when she was born
Grandma Carol's first snuggle
First family picture!
IN LOVE!!!




What an incredible story! I'm glad it went so beautifully and was such a powerful, spiritual moment. Birth is so amazing. I loved the story of the cop and telling off the lady at Walmart too. That's the Katie I know and love:) Congrats again on that sweet baby boy.
ReplyDeleteWay to go girl!! I'm so glad you shared this story..you are so tough and determined. What an awesome experience for you. He is so cute and I'm glad he is a good baby. I'm so happy for your family!! Love you!!
ReplyDeletePs. The lady that called the cops on you?? What an idiot.
I still can't believe you did that naturally! Go you!!!! That's so great that everything worked out exactly how you had planned it, you hardly ever hear of that happening. Congrats!!!!!
ReplyDelete