Saturday, March 6, 2010

Senior Theis Here I Come...

April 9th will be do or die...Is my idea original? Is it unique? Is is written like a true scholar? I am using the 19th century artist Eugene Delacroix, and his fantastic painting Women of Algiers in their Harem (1836).






















Im arguing that Delacriox was actually advocating the use of opium for the western world. As you can see the women are surrounding a hookah pipe smoking opium. Most people when they see this picture just see the new mystical world of the Orient which was completly new at the time. I argue Delacroix uses whymsical colors, subject manner, phallic symbols and painting skills to market his painting, to beable to propagandize the use of opium for europe which was slowly becoming a worldwide drug........I think it sounds awesome....lets just hope the panel does as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment