Friday, January 21, 2011

Postpartum & the Boob

This is a stick up!


Here she is at just a few weeks old, her newborn clothes swamped her



I felt I should write a bit about bringing baby home for all those future mothers who are wondering what it is really like :) Actually, I had a dream baby so you probably should not ask me at all. But I will say if you get postpartum depression then we can talk, that was a real b*@!$


For about 6 weeks I did not want to see, smell, hear or touch another person besides my husband. I would have panic attacks if I went to the grocery store or had to drive anywhere. I couldnt go anywhere or have anyone over. It hit me about 4 days after I got home from the hospital and at first I did not have any idea what or why I felt the way I did, I thought it was just the baby blues as they call it...but it was a little worse as I didn't want to eat or take good care of myself. Once we realized what was going on it became easier to adjust and Cory was awesome at making sure I was getting all that I needed.


And them one day in the car...all the sudden I looked in the back and saw my wonderful baby and felt happy and starting singing to a song. I WAS BACK!!


I feel horrible for women who get postpartum depression, it's a nightmare that doesnt end and that you can't wake yourself up from.


As for the babe...she was an angel. Just eats, plays and sleeps.


Breastfeeding is an entirely different topic in and of itself.


That is the worst part of it all, because its like feeding your baby a mysterious meal...you have no idea how much their getting and if their getting enough. Plus, the first two weeks are painful. And some days I swear I sat in the same chair ALL day long breastfeeding..yup no joke. This is because the baby has growth spurts and you body is slowly learning how to regulate its milk supply. But just plan for those days, get the remote, food and good book cause you'll be there all day! :)


Thankfully, I learned and the baby learned and we are both alive. Now its only a 20 minute process that is pain free and a great bonding experience, (I did not feel that way at first). But perservere women, after a few weeks all is well in the world of being a giant BOOB!

4 comments:

  1. I've always appreciated your honesty Katie. I had a similar experience with postpartum. I'm glad you are doing well and things are getting easier. It is a rough transition to motherhood and nothing really prepares you for it. That said, it is a great gift, even the part about being a giant boob:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Postpartum SUCKS. I am sorry you got it too. Here's hoping the next time around is easier for us both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls...see were not alone. It is interesting how no one talks about postpartum when many of us experience it. At least this time we actually can really blame it on the hormones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hated postpartum! i had it way bad as well. I just remember crying all the time and wondering what I got myself into :-)
    As for the boobs...I honestly at times felt like my only purpose was being a cow haha. Someone asks "What did you do all day?" hmmm sat on the couch and got milked

    ReplyDelete